Saturday 23 July 2011

Race Report - Frank Duffy 5 Mile Run

So as part of registering for the Dublin Marathon this year, I also registered for the Dublin Half Marathon, and 5 mile race. There is a 10 mile race too id have done but it clashes with a triathlon.

My goal for my first running race was simple, use it as a fast run and continue my training.
5 miles is 8.1km so I wanted to race at 4 min km's or under for the distance. So my target was sub 32 mins.

I arrived to mass queues and managed to grab a parking spot in the Phoenix park. Grid lock isn't the word and you really need to get in early to grab a parking spot.

Into wave 1 then and I was maybe 20metres back from the leaders. Unfortunately there were a number of slower runners in front and I had to zig zag through them at the start. I found a space on the grass verge and hurried on. I knew I wanted to maintain sub 4 min km's and was happy with my first one in 3:50 despite traffic. I held this pace and followed a few similar pacers and came home in 31:15. Very happy with this as it shows I can run a sub 40 min 10k now. In fact 39 mins most likely.
This was 45 odd at the start of the year so decent progress in 6 months.

Also an interesting note from this. One of the pacers I ran with I recognised from a triathlon. We crossed the finish line at same time so I checked for names I'd recognise. Yes it was Jennifer Duffy, one of the top female triathletes in age group and I had matched her time.
A quick check back to Kilkee Hell of the West where she passed me on the run showed she ran a
Solid 41:42 for the hilly 10k - beating my 45min at same race.
So now I had matched her time and felt good run progress made here.


Next run race is the Dublin Half Marathon in September where I'm aiming for a sub 1 hr 30 min.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


No comments:

Post a Comment